Frequently Asked Questions


Do you handle small claims?
No.  The Municipal Court handles general civil cases with damages up to $3,000.  The Court also handles landlord/tenant matters.
Are your filing fees the same on general civil cases as they are in the District Court?
No.  General Civil filing fees are as follows:
Amount of claim:      $1 - $599.00 - Filing fee $5.50;          $600 - $3,000 - Filing fee $11.00;
                                             $45.00 - Possession  for  Property for Landlord/Tenant Matters
Do you handle small claims for all the Grosse Pointes?
No, Small Claims actions are not available in any of the Municipal Courts.  The Municipal Courts only handle General Civil matters with a jurisdictional limit of up to $3,000.00 and Landlord/Tenant filings.   Any civil cases over $3,000.00 would be filed in the Wayne County 3rd Circuit Court.  The defendant must be a resident of Grosse Pointe Shores or the action must have taken place here. 
Where can I get court forms?
Forms are available online @
What violations can be waived?
Statutory authority for the waiver of fines and costs is limited to the following:

  • No Operators license in Possession - On or before 14 days from the date the citation was issued you may present a valid license to the court clerk and the matter will be dismissed.   **NOTE*** If you fail to provide a valid license within that time period your matter will be scheduled for a court appearance. 
  • Defective Equipment - repair of equipment must be completed and inspected prior to the court date shown on the violation.
  • No child restraint system - evidence of acquisition, purchase, or rental of proper equipment must be provided to the court prior to the court date listed on the violation.
  • No proof of registration - a registration that was valid on the day the ticket was issued must be provided to the court by the appearance date shown on the violation.

***NOTE*** - Expired plate violations are not waivable.

***NOTE***- A $30.00 Fee will be required before fines and costs will be waived on No Proof of Insurance violations- The court will verify if the proof of insurance was valid and in effect at the time of the violation.
How can I pay my violation?
Payments are accepted by cash, check, money order and credit card.  
Violations may be paid between the hours of 8:30am - 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. - 5:00pm, in person, Monday through Friday.   Please note the Court office is closed daily for lunch from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.  
Payments can also be mailed to 795 Lake Shore Road, Grosse Pointe Shores, MI  48236.  
Checks and money orders should be made payable to Grosse Pointe Shores.  A white drop box is also located in the main parking lot off of Lake Shore Road.  Payments can be placed in the drop box and will be processed the following day. 
To pay by  credit card, you may pay through or call 1-888-604-7888.   You will need a PLC (Pay Location Code) 8084 which is the code for Grosse Pointe Shores Municipal Court. 
Contact the court for further information.