Frequently Asked Questions

Power Outage

My power is out, who do I contact?

Report a power outage or gas leak to DTE Energy by calling 1.800.477.474 or online by selecting link below

                                                                                              Link to Report Outage
dte LOGO

How long will my power be out?
Please do not call the Public Safety Department regarding when your power will be restored. Please review outage map for restoration details. 
DTE Outage Map Button


I am having a party and expect more cars than we can accommodate at my home. What can I do?
Contact the Public Safety desk and request assistance with possible special parking permission (313)-881-5500 option2
Can I park on the street overnight?
No,  Grosse Pointe Shores has an Ordinance prohibiting parking on the street between 2am and 5 am. Any overnight parking must be approved by the Public Safety Department.

Gun Questions

What steps are required for purchasing a handgun as a resident.
Applications and licenses to purchase a pistol from a private individual can be obtained by completing the City's application.  This process can be completed at the Public Safety Department.  There is no fee for the process. Please call (313) 881-5500.
Purchase through dealers do not require a permit to purchase.

Those who have a concealed pistol license (CPL) may complete the pistol sales record and return same to the Public Safety Department? LINK TO MSP PISTOL SALES RECORD
If someone leaves me a handgun after their death what should I do?
Legally you must record the transaction as if it were a sale from the estate to you. If you do not have a Concealed Pistol License (CPL). You must obtain the Pistol Purchase Permit by applying for same at the Public Safety Department.  If you do have a CPL a pistol sales record should be complete and the appropriate copy turned over to a police department for processing.  LINK TO MSP PISTOLSALES RECORD

If you do not wish to sell or retain the weapon. You may contact the Public Safety Department to arrange for its removal.
How do I obtain a Concealed Pistol License (CPL)?
You must apply with Wayne County  or Macomb County Clerk's Office depending on your county of residence.